Mission Statements: Inspire members of the public to join the Amnesty people power movement. Educate the public on Amnesty’s achievements, in order to gain awareness and support. Demonstrate Amnesty’s ethos is a part of all of our lives and we are all collectively responsible in the fight for our human rights, which is why we are utilising public space to bring people together harmoniously.
● Amnesty are constantly in need of awareness and support, they’re always looking for innovative street demonstrations and, although well-known, their movements aren’t recognised by everyone.
● There has been a rise in racial discrimination post-Brexit.
● Compassion fatigue affects those who are constantly bombarded with negative messages.
● Projections provide impact through visuals.
● People are drawn towards unfamiliar physical objects.
Design Solution: The Faces of Amnesty (TFOA) is an interactive street projection designed to educate the people of Bristol and raise awareness of Amnesty’s achievements, responding to the insights creatively.
TFOA projection consists of four cubes displaying:
- “Amnesty International” – Affiliation..
- Positive statements – For example: “55,000 prisoners of conscience freed since 1961.”
- Selfies taken by members of the public, translated into a face mosaic made up of the 55,000.
- “#FacesOfAmnesty” – Create media attention, raise awareness, educate and reach as many people as possible.
Space: The Bearpit is a thriving public space that inspires significant change, innovation and social engagement shared within the community (The Bearpit Improvement Group). TFOA will utilise The Bearpit due to its political atmosphere, community feel and central location.
Technology: Two projectors, projecting onto two sides of the cubes, housed within a protective tower. Two laptops running Modul8 VJing software, in order to projection map onto the cubes. Four iPads used to take selfies, connected to Dropbox for transfer to laptops, logged into Amnesty International twitter feed.
For further detail, please refer to the Technical Requirements & Equipment Specification.